Hey everybody. It’s Friday in Port Jefferson, and I’m back in your inbox to get you caught up on all the most important things happening in the community today. Without further ado…
First, today’s weather:
A t-storm around in the pm High: 83, low: 69.
Here are the top 5 stories in Port Jefferson today:
- Turn over a new chapter with a new job at the Comsewogue Library Job fair! The Suffolk County Department of Labor will host the event on Tuesday, July 12, from 10 am to noon. The library is located at 170 Terryville Road in Port Jefferson Station. No registration is required. (TBRNewsMedia)
- The Beginnings band will be at Theater Three to celebrate the music of Chicago. The event is family-friendly and will rock music lovers with the best songs of Chicago for five decades! The concert will be held on Saturday, July 9 at 8 pm (Patch)
- “We all scream for ice cream!” TBR News Media hit Port Jefferson downtown to find ice cream lovers and ask about their favorite flavors from our local stores! Have fun while reading the reviews from summer fans on Main Street. (TBRNewsMedia)
- For those looking forward to spending a summer day in New York City but would like to save on the train tickets price, Port Jefferson Free Library can help you on Saturday, July 9. The group will need to depart together from the Port Jefferson Train Station and return individually. Tickets are $10 per person. Click here for details. (PJFL)
- Mario’s restaurant, located at the Old School House Square Shopping Center in Setauket, was crashed in by an SUV on Friday, July 1. No injuries were reported. (TBRNews Media)
From our sponsor:
Are you a Port Jefferson resident looking for an investment alternative to the stock market?
Bloomberg recently asked experts where they’d invest $100,000 right now, and many had the same answer: fine art.
Thinking you can’t afford a Picasso? In 2012, Congress passed the JOBS Act, which allowed for the securitization of artwork. A company called Masterworks.io built the largest platform for buying and selling art securities. In the past, you could only buy shares of companies like Apple, but with this investing app, you can unlock this robust investment.
This means you can invest in shares of million-dollar artwork. And in uncertain times, it turns out; that fine art may be a wise investment. Here’s why:
- Low correlation to stocks according to Citi
- Contemporary art historically returns 23.2% when inflation is >3%
- Contemporary art prices outpaced the S&P 500 by 164% (1995-2021)
To learn more, visit Masterworks.io, where Port Jefferson Daily readers can skip the waitlist.
See important Reg A Disclosures.
Today in Port Jefferson:
- “PUSS-IN-BOOTS” – Theater Three Children Theatre. (11am)
- Teen Guitar Camp -Port Jefferson Free Library. (11am)
- Box Office Matinee -Port Jefferson Free Library. (2 p.m.)
- Friday Family Film: Moana -Port Jefferson Free Library. (2 p.m.)
- Teen National Video Game Day -Port Jefferson Free Library. (2 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Mather Hospital will host six weeks of Smoking Cessation classes starting on July 21. The course will be held on Thursdays and features relaxation techniques and stress management tips to help those struggling with tobacco addiction. Classes are free of charge and start at 6 pm “To register or for more information, please call 631-853-2928.” (patches)
- Port Jefferson, NY: “Shout out to our amazing lifeguards here in The Village of Port Jefferson. We thank them for their service. Summer2022.” (Port Jefferson, NY via Facebook)
- Port Jefferson Free Library: “We still have some tickets left for Harry Potter and the Cursed Child this Saturday, July 9, on Broadway! Don’t miss out on this opportunity to see this amazing show at a super discounted price!” (Port Jefferson Free Library via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Gigs & services:
That’s it for today! I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow with your next update.
— Deborah Whitehead
About me: Have a story idea? Please get in touch with me! I would love to hear from you! Wife, mom, foodie, traveler, and nature lover.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Port Jefferson Daily? Contact me at PortJefferson@Patch.com.