MABELLEarts Community Arts Coordinator (Food Security Focus), funded by the Canada Summer Jobs program to provide employment experience to youth between the age of 15 and 30 years old in Toronto, Ontario.
MABELLEarts unlocks the creative potential of the neighborhood along Mabelle Ave. Since 2007, we have brought together thousands of residents across real and perceived differences to make art and transform neglected public spaces. We begin with fun, culturally-relevant and celebratory collaborative projects that lead to early wins and build trusting relationships over time. Activities and events bring residents together with professional artists and designers to explore new ways of being together. These explorations over time evolve into permanent social infrastructure (physical spaces, services, and/or programs, and the networks across and within physical and social spaces where people come together).
MABELLEarts welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity and inclusion. People coming together across real and perceived differences is the source of our strength. Diversity of racial background; ethnicity; country of origin; ancestry; age; cultural/religious background; ability; gender; gender identity and sexuality among staff and artists strengthens our ability to collaborate with communities and effect change. We encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, particularly applicants whose lived experience reflects those of the communities we serve.
RATE OF PAY: $20/hr
30 hours per week – Monday to Thursday
START DATE: June 20, 2022
END DATE: August 31, 2022
Deadline to Apply: May 20, 2022 at 5pm
Date posted: April 25, 2022
As part of the summer youth team, you’ll work closely with Program Leads and other Subject Matter Experts to carry out food security projects in Mabelle Park. You’ll play a strong role in park maintenance and safe, COVID compliant community engagement, on site and online. You’ll help lead other young people to make beautiful things happen on Mabelle Avenue. You will assist with the coordination and execution of logistical, outreach, facilitation and communications tasks for the Food Security initiatives at the MABELLEpantry and MABELLEmarket.
MABELLEpantry & MABELLEmarket:
- Assisting with setup, packing and cleanup
- Staff scheduling, as required
- Weekly planning and assigning of roles and tasks
- Directing youth leaders and volunteers to successfully complete tasks outlined by the Pantry
- Monitor market organization, food safety and cleanliness
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of program participants
- Support all related market administration elements, including accurate tracking and data entry of client intake, pantry attendance, deliveries and reminder calls
- Support the MABELLEpantry and MABELLEmarket special events
- Coordinate market promotion by phone calls, posters/flyers and social media campaigns
- Health and Safety support:
- Work with the team to deliver workplace and food safety training sessions to staff and volunteers of all ages
- Ensure that all safety measures and protocols related to COVID-19 are practiced by youth leaders, volunteers and staff at all times
- Monitor and enforce community safety, including but not limited to COVID-19 related protocols
- Assist the Program Leads to perform indoor and outdoor site development projects
- Lead youth staff and volunteer site improvement teams
- Perform seasonal outdoor site maintenance tasks in MABELLE Park, as scheduled and assigned
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- We are prioritizing candidates with lived experience and reside in the Mabelle Ave. community
- Passion for food security and community advocacy
- Interest or education related to Community Economic Development
- Community-minded and experience with Youth and/or Seniors’ engagement
- A demonstrated interest in arts management and community-engaged arts
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Able to work outdoors in all kinds of weather
- Punctual, helpful and friendly attitude are a must
- Proficiency in Google Workspace and computer literacy an asset
- Fluency in English (spoken and written)
- Proficiency in other languages (such as Arabic, Somali, Tigrinya, Russian, French, Spanish, Korean, Chinese) a major asset
- A valid G-class driver’s license is an asset
- Past experience with MABELLEarts will be considered a strong asset
- Must be committed to working through a lens of anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Must respect and maintain confidentiality of community members at all times.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of employment
- Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment
- Have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulation.
- Provide proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Our office is located in a Toronto Community Housing high-rise tower that has been equipped with automated entrances and exits, and our washroom is wheelchair accessible.
How to Apply:
Please include a cover letter with your resume outlining why you are the right candidate for the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Thank you for your interest in the position. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.